[linux-audio-user] Is there a way to compress the size of a wave file?

Stephen Hassard steve at hassard.net
Wed May 11 23:25:10 EDT 2005

Windows Sound Recorder can send the recorded data on-the-fly through a
codec for compression. Obviously if you are planning on editing the
audio, you're best recording in a non-lossy format.

If you're recording off a cheap mic, you can probably record at a much
lower bitrate/frequency using only mono. Everytime you drop any of the
previous, your filesize will drop. This should make the uncompressed
file much smaller.

later,
Steve