[linux-audio-user] Digital mixer advice

Arnold Krille arnold at roederberg.dyndns.org
Tue May 24 11:49:48 EDT 2005

On Tuesday 24 May 2005 13:27, Nick Torenvliet wrote:
> My hardware is a 2.26GHz PIV and an ASSUS MOBO, SBLIVEEMU101K, 512MB RAM

the sblibe is enough for starting, I have one too. you should try to get a
livedrive if you don't have one -> more io-ports directly accessible from the
front.

> Will using flux box instead of GNOME see me an improvement in my audio
> performance.

As Gnome is a similar cpu-hook as KDE (which I am using) I can tell you that
it gets better with fluxbox, which is also my choice for audio-work.
Additionally you should try to get one of the various realtime-patches
running, I recommend realtime-lsm...

> Lastly I am looking at getting either a digital mixer with say 8-16 ins
> and a digital in card to interface with linux... or getting a faster
> system and AD/DA/midi/digital in/out card.

I wouldn't do that, mixing in ardour has the advantage that it saves the
settings without problems inside your project. with an external mixer you
have to store these settings externally. Even for monitoring and aux-ports
there is a solution (not quite finished :-) ) : JackMix (*)

> Again thanks all

You're welcome.

Arnold

(*) http://roederberg.dyndns.org/~arnold/jackmix

--
There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the
Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

 -- Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe