[linux-audio-user] kernel-2.6.14.2-lsm only slightly better...

thewade pdman at aproximation.org
Thu Nov 17 21:03:49 EST 2005

Hi again!

I built and installed 2.6.14.2. Like the standard FC4 kernel on this
machine I had to disable acpi - I don't know if that could hurt anything
besides battery performance...
I built and installed realtime-lsm-0.1.1, running it with modprobe
gid=500 any=1.
I built jackd using:
--with-default-tmpdir=/dev/shm (Fedora's tmpfs ram device, or so I think)
  (BTW: my fstab is weird about jacks temp directory
  (# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
  (LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
defaults        1 1
  (LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3
defaults        1 2
  (/dev/devpts             /dev/pts                devpts
gid=5,mode=620  0 0
  (/dev/shm                /dev/shm                tmpfs
defaults        0 0
  (/dev/proc               /proc                   proc
defaults        0 0
  (/dev/sys                /sys                    sysfs
defaults        0 0
  (LABEL=SWAP-hda5         swap                    swap
defaults        0 0
  (none                    /dev/shm       tmpfs   defaults         0 0
  (/dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto
pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
  (none                    /dev/shm       tmpfs   defaults         0 0
--enable-capabilities=0 (I thought this was bad 'cause the ccrma
jack.spec file as capabilities disabled. Same results with enabled)
--enable-posix-shm
--disable-oss
The best I can do with jack without out more then the 13 initial XRUNS is:
/usr/local/bin/jackd -R -P70 -u -dalsa -dhw:0 -r48000 -p256 -n2 -m -H -M
...though qjackctl says
cannot use real-time scheduling (FIFO at priority 69) [for thread
-1211757648, from thread -1211757648] (1: Operation not permitted)
cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)
the qjackctl statistics window says realtime is enabled.

When I run PD I use nice -5 pd but at the above frames/period I get all
kinds of static when I change or move windows. I have to go back to
-p1024 to avoid thoes pops (A/D/A sync errors PD calls them)

So I guess I am ready to try changing the IRQ's of my sound cards (Mark?) .
What should I do to make my machine perform better?
I am going to ask the pd-list about pd optimizations.

Thanks!
-thewade