[linux-audio-user] Edirol UA-25: Any issues?

Christoph Eckert ce at christeck.de
Fri Nov 18 17:49:09 EST 2005

Hi Lee,

> First, try to provide a useful bug report.  "The latency is horrible"
> is not much better than "it doesn't work".

you're right, sorry for that.

> Is this with JACK?  Running in realtime mode?  What settings?  Which
> clients?  How bad is the latency?

I just did my first tests with aeolus, the organ synth.

It runs on top of JACK which I run in conjunction with qjackctl.

I have a 2.6.14.2 vanilla kernel installed.

Additionally I have installed RT-LSM. The module is loaded and grants
any user access to it.

I now get much better results. I run JACK as

/usr/local/bin/jackd
-R -P83 -p64 -dalsa -r48000 -p256 -n3 -D -Chw:2 -Phw:2

qjackctl tells me about 16msecs latency with these settings. No prob
playing aeolus, but I plan to pipe audio material (playing the guitar
and the bass) through my computer so less latency would be great.

I also have edited /etc/security/limits.conf as found on the web. It now
contains something like

@audio          -       rt_priority     95
@audio          -       nice            -10
@audio          -       memlock         300000

but to be honest I have no clue which app read or use this.

I have also a program installed which reads as set_rtlimits and one
which reads as setpcaps, but to be honest, I do not know at all how
these relate to each other and how to use them.

This means that any wee small hint that gives me a starting point is
much appreciated.

Thanks & best regards

    ce