[linux-audio-user] IRQ conflicts, acpi, and linux audio

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Sun Nov 20 08:16:12 EST 2005

thewade wrote:

>> If ccrma, I've read there's a package called rtirq which seems to have
>> something to do with re-prioritizing interrupts (in software) though
>> I don't know the details. I think you'd need to be running the planet
>> ccrma kernel (or equivalent) for it to work..
>
> A (in no way) comprehensive search yields that rtirq is a patch,
> possibly only to the 2.4 kernel.

Wrong.

The rtirq package is just a simple SysV script, which is targeted to
prioritize the soft-IRQ handlers on a preempt-realtime enabled kernel
(i.e. Ingo Molnar's 2.6.x-rt patches). It is specially suited to
PREEMPT_RT kernels, but it can be of use on PREEMPT_DESKTOP configured ones.

Incidentally I'm the author of the rtirq thingie, which you can find the
tarball attached (rtirq-20050914.tar.gz). There's no documentation, you
have to use the source, sorry.

As it was specially crafted for a RPM based distro (e.g. SUSE, Mandriva,
Fedora) and if you can't have use of the given rtirq.spec, which is
suited for rpmbuild, installations instructions are the ones as for a
LSB system, as root:

# cp rtirq.sh /etc/init.d/rtirq
# chmod 0755 /etc/init.d/rtirq

# cp rtirq.conf /etc/sysconfig/rtirq
# chmod 0644 /etc/sysconfig/rtirq

And then, depending on your distro, enable it as a proper init script
(e.g. use something like `/sbin/chkconfig --add rtirq`). Once installed
just do either of the following:

# /etc/init.d/rtirq start
# /etc/init.d/rtirq stop
# /etc/init.d/rtirq status

You'll probably get over the semantics of all these ;) Of course, you
can change the default configuration that you may find in
/etc/sysconfig/rtirq .

Enjoy.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela