[linux-audio-user] intermittent X blackout in rt kernel

Mon Nov 21 15:08:57 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 12:02 -0500, Aaron Phillips wrote:
> Hello,
> Has anyone experienced X going blank at random times for between 1 and
> 5 seconds at a pop?  I started out with a demudi mm kernel (I'm
> running DeMudi) and never experienced this problem.  Once I ran my own
> built-from-source
> 2.6.14-rt13 kernel, I saw this behavior consistently.  It's very annoying.
> Basically, while in X, the screen would go blank every so often for a
> short period and then reappear.  Periods between blackouts would be
> between 1 second and 1 minute.  I am wondering if it has something to
> do with the video having too low of a priority since this is a
> realtime-preempt kernel.  I tried setting X to a higher prio with
> chrt, but that had no effect.
> Anyone have an idea?

Which cpu do you have? I have seen this coupled also to keyboard repeats
being too fast because of kernel problems in keeping time (in my case
related to using AMD X2 dual core processors). The X blackouts were
actually the screensaver kicking in. It is supposed to be fixed...

-- Fernando