[linux-audio-user] Re: [linux-audio-dev] Edirol FA-101

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 20:29:10 EDT 2005

On 10/21/05, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 14:48 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > I think this would be a better question for the Freebob list, and cc:
> > > the jackit-devel list, as you're using a version of JACK that the
> > > Freebob people have customized.  I've never heard anyone on LAD or LAU
> > > report that this works.
> > >
> > > First and foremost, we need to get the iec61883 driver into JACK CVS, so
> > > that Paul Davis and the other JACK experts can help you.
> > >
> > > Lee
> >
> > In case some folks don't know this stuff iec61883 is part of the 1394
> > stack. Why would it go into Jack CVS?
>
> Sorry, I mean "the iec61883 backend".  JACK used to call these "drivers"
> but as you can see it's confusing.  JACK does not need to include the
> iec61883 stack but it does need to know how to talk to it, just like
> with ALSA, OSS, etc.
>
> Look at his command line:
>
> jackd -d iec61883 -o osc.udp://localhost:31000
>
> If I run this I get:
>
> rlrevell at mindpipe:~/kernel-source/linux-2.6.13$ jackd -d iec61883
> jackd: unknown driver 'iec61883'
>
> So he must be using a third party patch to jackd from the Freebob people
> that implements the 'iec61883' backend.
>
> Lee

I'm probably whacked. I just assumed that was the name available when
the amdtp driver was modprobed. Most likely you are right and they
have developed an iec61883 Alsa driver which they have Jack talking
to.

For kicks I've just built all the 61883 stuff for this kernel I'm
working on. I'll modprobe it sometime after rebooting and convince
myself that you are correct.

Cheers,
Mark