[linux-audio-user] clicks with video activity

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Wed Sep 14 05:15:40 EDT 2005

Florian Schmidt wrote:

> are you using qjackctl?
>
> If so, keep the connections window closed. the Jack graph gets locked
> when its connections are queried, which qjackctl does quite often when
> its connections window gets redrawn. This would cause 0-periods in the
> audio stream but no xruns.

FYI: qjackctl does NOT query jack connections whenever the window is
redrawn, so you may pretty well have the connections window open all the
time.

However, the qjackctl connections window get actually refreshed, by
querying and locking the jack graph instantaneously, only on these
particular moments:

   1. when a new jack client enters or exits the graph;
   2. when any active jack client changes its own our others
connections; this includes qjackctl normal but explicit user operation.
   3. when the "Setup/Options/Auto refresh connections Patchbay, every
(secs) ..." option is active.

Although 1 and 2 are unavoidable, and as far as qjackctl is concerned it
should be better addressed by a lock-free jackd implementation (as
jackdmp promises), this later one (3) is not needed anymore and you
better leave it off.

Cheers.
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela