[linux-audio-user] IP audio transport

Benjamin Racher bracher at iupui.edu
Tue Sep 20 21:12:56 EDT 2005

I have also been searching for a solution to IP audio tranport
mechanisms (over ethernet) as well, but have only found cobranet and
ethersound as Dan mentioned, both of which appear to be propietary
formats. I experimented with using jack.udp a while back, but it seems
like it would hardly be sufficient for transferring multiple channels of
audio (say 16 like cobranet). Perhapse the linux community can start to
develop and open-source set of standards that could be used for
transporting uncompressed audio over ethernet, perhaps using regular
ethernet adapters?

Has anybody heard of ethernet striping? A way to combine ethernet cards
to increase throughput? I found this on the cinerella site,
http://heroinewarrior.com/firehose.php3

Could we write a protocol for transporting audio that wouldn't get
bogged down by traffic from other protocols, or would this even be a
problem (I'm still learning about how IP works...)

ben racher