[linux-audio-user] IP audio transport

Eric Dantan Rzewnicki rzewnickie at rfa.org
Thu Sep 22 12:11:46 EDT 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 09:24:04PM +0100, Dan Mills wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 September 2005 02:12, Benjamin Racher wrote:
> > I have also been searching for a solution to IP audio tranport
> > mechanisms (over ethernet) as well, but have only found cobranet and
> > ethersound as Dan mentioned, both of which appear to be propietary
> > formats. I experimented with using jack.udp a while back, but it seems
> > like it would hardly be sufficient for transferring multiple channels of
> > audio (say 16 like cobranet). Perhapse the linux community can start to
> > develop and open-source set of standards that could be used for
> > transporting uncompressed audio over ethernet, perhaps using regular
> > ethernet adapters?
> > Could we write a protocol for transporting audio that wouldn't get
> > bogged down by traffic from other protocols, or would this even be a
> > problem (I'm still learning about how IP works...)
> probably not at this sort of performance level, besides there just is not that
> much spare bandwidth!
> Regards, Dan (Who has far more projects then he does time!).

I'm not familiar with the details, yet, but my understanding is that
the Axia Livewire system uses RTP and QOS routing to address these
concerns. Basically RTP is designed for real time media and Quality of
Service is used to ensure that the RTP traffic has priority over other
protocols.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Systems Administrator
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia