[linux-audio-user] Bit depth

Phil Mendelsohn phil at rephil.org
Sun Feb 26 23:23:15 EST 2006

> It's more likely that you are hearing differences in quality from one
> component to the next.  I can hear the difference between an Apogee 24
> bit converter and a cheap no-name 24 bit converter.

You are more than likely hearing pre-echo in the filters.  Time domain
artifacts of ringing filters are much more perceptible (read: trigger
human audio perception responses) than small scale, fairly linear
component distortions, in my experience.

Haven't seen jj (Jim Johnston) on the net for a few years, but he can tell
you more than you care to know about the subject.  [Maybe look up some
articles or google away...]

Phil Mendelsohn

--
Dept. of Mathematics, 342 Machray Hall
U. of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2