[linux-audio-user] Re: 192kHz

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sat Jan 28 07:52:05 EST 2006

On Friday 27 January 2006 18:31, Brent Busby was like:
> I think things like that on analog recordings
> have always been easier for a listener to psychologically tune out than
> that metallic "sheen" in the upper octaves that bad digital recordings
> (especially over-processed ones) seem to always have.

As a relative know-nothing in this area. I have to say that arguments like
this are winning me over. Anything that would reduce that digital tinniness
has got to be worth pursuing. Surely?

Having recently had the chance to experience 24 bit audio, I would say that
although the sounds are undeniably richer and more acceptable, there are
still harmonics, particularly noticeable at root note >=C5 where the
harmonics sound brittle and unnatural. Of course it is possible that due to
weaknesses in the signal chain, I'm not hearing 24 bits at all.

Thanks for this discussion. I am slowly beginning to understand these issues
better.
--
cheers,

tim hall