[linux-audio-user] Re: dj-ing hardware under Linux

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Tue Mar 14 14:27:23 EST 2006

cdr wrote:
>> I believe the ergonomics of a DJ mixer are good for those who need to make very fast cuts in realtime, but not necessarily any different for simple crossfades or EQ tweaks on a number of channels. The other advantage of using an external controller talking to software is you can keep the quality of your D/A converter if you like the way it sounds, rather than using the electronics in an analog DJ mixer.
>
>  the nice dj mixers do have a good signal path and adjustable crossover curves but nothing that cant be done easily with software, but i really doubt the fader in a UC-17 or something is any good, at that price point. i have a behringer, and opened it up and lubricated the faders with mineral oil which helped quite a bit but they still slide nowhere near as smooth as a RANE dj mixer.. i noticed you can buy replacement RANE faders for like $50 a piece or so, it might make sense to just get some of thos and plug into a multio to convert the CV into controller data...
>
>> -lee

I completely agree. Why bother with crappy substitutes when you can have
a bespoke beauty which makes you want to touch and play with it all the
time...

For a custom built machine it doesn't matter if you spend a bit of cash
to make it that little bit more special.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM