[linux-audio-user] The MySpace terms for content

Brett McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Wed May 3 16:12:36 EDT 2006

Brad Fuller wrote:

>>> Exactly! Even with the change above it's still a horrendous piece of
>>> spagetti
>> Yep, I've taken down all of the music I had on Myspace... it's a
>> violation of the Creative Commons terms under which my music is
>> available.
>>
> Can you indicate how it violates the Creative Commons terms?

It depends on the terms... I have selected the non-commercial
distribution terms, which means no modifying, public performance, etc.,
without permission. Myspace's terms specifically say they can modify,
publicly perform, etc.... I guess it's really not a violation, but it's
kind of sneaky that posting content to the site automatically grants
them the license... bet a lot of people didn't even realize they are
giving permission implicitly when they upload files to the site.

--
Brett McCoy: Programmer by Day, Guitarist by Night
http://www.alhazred.com