[linux-audio-user] My MIDI latency is crap

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Tue May 9 03:20:22 EDT 2006

Robert Jonsson wrote:
> On Monday 08 May 2006 09:08, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> > Josh Lawrence wrote:
> > > I have the local turned off on my keyboard, so that when I play a note
> > > on the keyboard, the MIDI signal passes through MusE, and back to my
> > > keyboard's sound generator.
> >
> > I tried to look at MuSE's source to see how it implements MIDI Through,
> > but apparently MuSE doesn't do anything MIDI related.
>
> The unfortunate truth is that there are two muse projects. MuSE which you
> probably looked at, a streaming server I think.. and MusE, a sequencer, which
> is likely the one being talked about here.
> http://muse-sequencer.org.

Oops ...

> How much latency is 'crap'? To my knowledge MusE reschedules incoming midi
> events using the best timing source at hand (if available rtc is used, if
> not, alsa), latency should be negligible.

It shouldn't be necessary to reschedule the events, they could be sent
back out immediately; no timer is needed for that.

Additionally, it seems MusE doesn't use ALSA's timestamps for received
events but manually looks at the timer when it comes around to reading
the events. This will somewhat degrade the accuracy of received events.

Regards,
Clemens