[linux-audio-user] gentoo proaudio portage overlay

Brian Dunn job17and9 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 11 08:33:36 EDT 2006

Robert Persson wrote:

>I don't know if the other gentoo users on this list are aware of this, but
>someone who goes by the name of nevermind has created a proaudio portage
>overlay. You can find out about it at
>http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-427211.html , or download a live svn
>snapshot directly from
>http://svnweb.tuxfamily.org/dl.php?repname=proaudio+%28ckpp%29&path=%2F&rev=0&isdir=1 .
>
>Overall it is very useful, containing both packages that are missing from the
>main portage tree and more recent versions of existing packages. There are
>several very nice apps I had not heard of before, such as aeolus, the pipe
>organ emulator.
>
>One thing I have found I have needed to do has been to manually download some
>of the tarballs to /usr/portage/distfiles, and then to delete some of the
>digests and manifests and rebuild them (using "ebuild packagename-1.2.3
>manifest digest") in order to generate new checksums. In one case (I think it
>was the vst sdk) I had to roll my own tarball in place of the one one of the
>ebuilds was unable to download. There were one or two other ebuild tweaks I
>had to do as well. So not problem free, but very useful nonetheless.
>
>Robert

I'm not sure what to do about the lash use flag. it conflicts with
ladcca in the gentoo portage tree. that's fine i guess, since i never
got ladcca working (for lack of trying). Also i found myself forced to
upgrade gcc from 3.3 to 3.4, and the revdep-rebuild process choked at
almost every package from the overlay. So i commented it (the overlay)
out of etc/make.conf, and still got complaints. i ended up basically un
installing all of the overlay packages and then commenting out the
overlay and revdep-rebuild, then uncomment it and emerge -uDN world. I
guess this would be better suited for the forums... but i agree that the
overlay is not problem free.
brian