[linux-audio-user] Firewire devices and Linux

Pieter Palmers pieterp at joow.be
Fri May 12 10:13:04 EDT 2006

Yo'av Moshe wrote:

> I heard about FreeBoB, but it seems like it's an (very) early project,
> and that I shouldn't count on it.

Don't be misguided by the fact that we only have (pre-)alpha software on
our site. The alpha's have become more like beta verions, and we are
preparing a first release for the near future. If the sourceforge cvs
servers would still be up and running, it would probably be ready. But
untill they fix their CVS, we can't access our code and we have to wait.

There are still some issues with our native ALSA driver support, but we
have a functional jackd backend which should enable you to do whatever
you want. If you use the jack2alsa plugin, you can even run ALSA
programs pretty decent.

I wouldn't say that you can't count on us.

> Are there any recording devices like the "Focusrite Saffire", the
> "Alesis iO-26", the "RME Fireface 400", the "M-Audio Firewire 410",
> etc, that are around 350$USD and that Linux supports?

check http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/List_of_Supported_Devices
to see what we support.
Note that the M-Audio 410 isn't supported (
http://freebob.sourceforge.net/index.php/FAQ#Will_the_M-Audio_410_.2F_1814_be_supported.3F)

$350 isn't a big budget though.

> In the worst case, I can always dual-boot, but I really wanted us to
> use Linux for the music stuff.

If you want to use Linux, and you want a firewire device, get one of the
devices on our supported device list. They all work on windows too. They
give you the best chance of good linux support for the moment.

Greets,

Pieter Palmers
FreeBob developer