[linux-audio-user] Recording Level using Audacity and a Multiface card

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Fri May 12 16:53:42 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 06:42 +1000, D. Sen wrote:
> Ok, so the gain option quoted by the device isnt the gain quoted by the
> conventional pre-amps. However, you are assuming a lot here. In essence,
> you are assuming that just because you dont see "60 dB gain", the device
> is not amplifying the signal to line-level when in-fact, even at x1
> gain, the device is producing line-level and the extra 20 dB gain using
> the x10 setting is beyond what is required for line-level inputs.

We are just flabbergasted by the gear you are using. What sort of mics
are you using? what do you record with the gear?

Most of us use dynamic & condenser microphones which use XLR cables, the
XLR->XLR cables are plugged into our 10-60dB preamps which are normally
connected via XLR->plug or plug->plug cords to the soundcard. I for once
have never seen a microphone use a BNC connector, and even less heard of
anyone using a "POSITRON Conditioner" as a microphone preamplifier.

The multiface has a switchable input gain via a switch internal in the
box. Maybe your box is set to the lower gain instead of the higher +4dB
(so called consumer-grade) gain?

  Sampo

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi>