[linux-audio-user] OT: need a mixer

Josh Lawrence hardbop200 at gmail.com
Tue May 16 14:00:37 EDT 2006

Okay guys,

A little off-topic here, but I need a mixer.  I've got Ardour working
great now, and I'm ready to do some recording, possibly some live
recording of my trio.  Here's my problem:  I need a mixer that will
let me listen to the current mix, and only send what I want to record
to my inputs.  My Mackie 1202-VLZ did this via "Alt Outs."  I could
press a button on a channel, and only that channel went to the alt
outputs, meaning I could listen to the whole mix on my mixer and only
record what I wanted to.

So the obvious answer here is "buy another Mackie," but they are a
little pricey.  If I can get out cheap, or maybe buy a higher quality
mixer used, I would do that.  I've looked into Behringer mixers, but
they don't seem to be able to do the alt output trick.  Also, there
are a lot of digital mixers on eBay (EZ-Bus, Tascam, Roland, Yamaha
01-V) that look good and only cost around $300 or less.

Any opinions?  What are you guys using in your home studios?

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com