[linux-audio-user] Re: Firewire sound - which HW?

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Thu May 18 02:31:21 EDT 2006

> No, not a laptop. Firewire has been recommended to me by several people who ought to know about these things (musicians); the main reason being that while a pCI card may have all the functionality, it also has much more of a tendency to pick up electrical noise from the computer. This may of course not be a big problem, especially if the music you record fills out the entire sound spectrum all the time, but it is clearly not satisfactory if you record, say, a single instrument (in my case a renaissance lute).

I could be wrong but I believe the Multiface or Digiface may be an
option for you if you are worried about pickup from the internals of the
computer and arent comfortable shielding your sound card yourself.  I
suppose that primarily depends on where the A/D happens on that card
though, obviously with the Digiface it is before you even get to the
card on most of it, I think the multiface it is in the breakout box, so
electrical pickup shouldnt be a problem.

That being said, I run a RME HDSP 9632 in my box, havent had a single
problem with electrical interference.  I dont do classical recording, I
DO do a variety of sound effects for theater though so I get a range of
dynamics and frequencies.  YMMV of course, but even in those cases where
you do there are some shielding techniques you can apply, I believe
Sound On Sound did an article or two on this about a year back by Martin
Walker.

Firewire is a nice handy interface spec, but is not the answer to every
situation.

         Seablade