[linux-audio-user] Re: Firewire sound - which HW?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu May 18 09:41:02 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 06:40 +0100, jan wrote:
> No, not a laptop. Firewire has been recommended to me by several people
> who ought to know about these things (musicians); the main reason being
> that while a pCI card may have all the functionality, it also has much
> more of a tendency to pick up electrical noise from the computer. This

you're "friends who ought to know more about these things" don't know
enough. consumer audio devices may (and do) suffer from this, but
serious pro/pro-sumer devices do not. its not even required that the
analog i/o be outside the box - lots of people love the iZ RADAR system
and it puts all of its converters *inside* a 4U chassis with a regular
intel-based computer. of course, iZ does know a bit about high end power
regulation and converter clock coupling :)

> Also, of course, a box with firewire would be a lot easier to carry
> around and share; and even connect to a laptop in an emergency.

this is true.