[linux-audio-user] Re-compiling Demudi kernel help please: Digigram VXpocket2

Hamish Low sub_acoustic at yahoo.co.nz
Tue May 23 19:25:17 EDT 2006

Firstly thanks to Asbjørn, Lee, Tim and others who have given me advice
so far.

I tried using Asbjørn's vanilla kernel but it didn't work as our laptops
are different, but your config settings were a good guide.

I downloaded the source package for 2.6.16
I did make oldconfig, to use the config already working on my machine
(just without the VXpocket support), I tried compiling the kernel as per
the instructions on the Demudi page
<http://demudi.agnula.org/wiki/Low-latencyKernelBuildingHowto>, and by
referencing Asbjørn's config settings
Lee had written that CONFIG_ISAPNP must be enabled, but this wasn't an
option that I could choose in menuconfig, there was just a hyphen beside
this option, also this wasn't enabled in Asbjørn's settings which
reportedly works.

but got this error message on reboot

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I assume this means I didn't have the exact settings configured for my laptop.

So then I put the result of lspci -v into http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

0000:00:00.0 0600: 8086:3340 (rev 21)
0000:00:01.0 0604: 8086:3341 (rev 21)
0000:00:1d.0 0c03: 8086:24c2 (rev 03)
0000:00:1d.1 0c03: 8086:24c4 (rev 03)
0000:00:1d.2 0c03: 8086:24c7 (rev 03)
0000:00:1d.7 0c03: 8086:24cd (rev 03)
0000:00:1e.0 0604: 8086:2448 (rev 83)
0000:00:1f.0 0601: 8086:24cc (rev 03)
0000:00:1f.1 0101: 8086:24ca (rev 03)
0000:00:1f.5 0401: 8086:24c5 (rev 03)
0000:00:1f.6 0703: 8086:24c6 (rev 03)
0000:01:00.0 0300: 1002:4e50
0000:02:08.0 0200: 8086:1039 (rev 83)
0000:02:09.0 0280: 8086:4223 (rev 05)
0000:02:0a.0 0607: 1180:0475 (rev b8)
0000:02:0a.1 0c00: 1180:0551

and it requires the intel-agp driver, which reportedly works

80863340 	Yes 	Intel Corporation 	82855PM Processor to I/O Controller
intel-agp

in the Configuration Archive I couldn't find any kernel on any architecture where this can be enabled.

Anyway then I tried to rebuild the package with initrd, as I got the impression from the Demudi page that though building a fatter kernel,
at least my machine would reboot
unfortunately this couldn't be built because yaird, or intramfs-tools or linux-intramafs-tool were not previously installed,
and I don't seem to be able to install them, either with apt-get or synaptic, as some list is locked/unlocked

so a few questions - can I salvage things at this point or do I have to start over from a fresh install?
what did I do wrong and how can avoid similar problems happening again?
am I going about this the right way, should i be using initrd?

I hadn't got around to installing the VXpocket firmware - though I don't think this was the problem,
when booting into the new kernel Alsa couldn't find the soundcard, though I assume it would be solved after the firmware was installed.

As much as I enjoy re-compiling and re-installing over and over again, I rather be making some music - thanks in advance

peace

Hamish