[linux-audio-user] Looking for a leveler (long term compressor) plugin

Pau Arumi parumi at iua.upf.edu
Thu May 25 03:37:40 EDT 2006

En/na Pau Arumi ha escrit:

> Hello,
> I'm looking for a LADSPA plugin that acts as an automatic
> leveler for an audio stream playing different songs, which
> will have (very) different volumes.
> A simple compressor wouldn't suit my needs since it would
> either sound too low for some songs or smash the sound for
> other songs.
>
> Actually I used such a plugin (I think it also was a command
> line tool) some months ago but now I don't remember its name.

Doing a little more google I found it by myself.

http://vlevel.sourceforge.net/about/

VLevel keeps your music from making you jump out of your seat, and it
keeps you from having to fiddle with the volume constantly. It's
different from other dynamic compressors because it looks ahead. You can
think of VLevel as someone who knows your music by heart, and turns the
volume up during quiet passages, but smoothly turns it back down when he
knows a loud part is coming. It's great for making CDs to listen to in
your car, or to play background music on your computer. VLevel is
currently a LADSPA plugin and a command-line filter.

Pau Arumi