[linux-audio-user] Getting some input (was Getting some hardware...)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat May 27 19:35:25 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-05-27 at 18:11 -0400, lanas wrote:
> For percussion, I've looked at Roland's HPD-15 Handsonic and the Korg
> padKontrol.  The latter makes me think of a Roland drum device I once
> had and whose pads were placed in a similar manner.  And then, what's
> ncie with the other, the Hadnsonic thing, is its shape which makes it
> look a lot more natural to tap stuff with fingers.  Much like tapping
> on the armrests of a chair and stuff like that.  But then, it has a lot
> of sounds and features that could very well be ignored in the long run
> (well, maybe some sounds can be used).
>
> With such a device (either of them) is it possible to play it in a
> Linux sequencer (such as MuSE perhaps) using the device's sounds and
> upon playback, the device will play the sequenced MIDI notes using its
> own sounds ?
>
> If I use 5 pads to generate 5 different sounds on the PC, does it work
> using 5 different MIDI channels ?  How many MIDI channels are there
> available ?

the handsonic sends different note numbers for each pad, all on the same
channel. the channel is generally channel 10, though it depends which
program you are using.

the handsonic is nice and a lot of fun; a drumKAT has better quality
sensors though less of them, no edge detection, and no samples. you
might find a cheap on ebay. it also has no D-beam or slide controls -
its a much simpler device but is also much more robust.

> Also, if I only use sounds from the Linux PC (generated by what
> exactly - I only know presently of the synth you mentioned in your
> last reply), is it possible to assign 8 sounds for the percussion
> device, then playback those sequenced sounds (notes) and then add 10
> more other sounds eventually coming from a MIDI guiatr controler, a
> keyboard, etc...  I.e. is there a limit on the number of sounds a Linux
> PC can generated in response to a sequenced MIDI score ?

not really.