[linux-audio-user] Plugging an electric instrument

Danny Ayers danny.ayers at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 19:03:52 EDT 2006

(New here, hi all!)

On 9/4/06, lanas <lanas at securenet.net> wrote:
> Folks,
>
>   I just got an accoutic bass guitar that also got a preamp and a 1/4
> jack.  Obviously a 1/4 cable won't do as input for the M-Audio 1010LT.
> But is it only a matter of adapting the physical connector or should
> the output from the guitar's preamp be routed in some box (?) before
> it reaches the M-Audio card input ?

I don't know the gadget, and I'm only going on the top level docs on
their site.

It definitely has a *powered* pre-amp? That should be ok into one of
the 8 input lines direct.

If you're taking a signal from a pickup on the bass, then if one of
the mic/line-ins is free then it should be fine making a cable
jack-XLR, with one side of the XLR grounded - i.e., unbalanced (input
stages shouldn't have a problem with this).

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com