[LAU] Software or performance?

Folderol folderol at ukfsn.org
Mon Dec 3 15:23:35 EST 2007

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 12:04:35 +0100
Simon Edwards <simon at simonzone.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Folderol wrote:
> > For those who don't know, for some time I've made available all the
> > voice patches I've created for ZynAddSubFX.
> >
> > However, for the first time I've been asked what license they are
> > under, which presents a curious problem.
>  >
> > Would these be best regarded as 'software'? - in which case I'd go for
> > GPL2 or later, or are they more like a 'performance'? - where I would
> > then go for creative commons BY-SA
>
> (IANAL applies.) I guess it depends on what they want to do with the
> patch. For distribution purposes I would treat it like software and use
> GPL2 or later. The GPL doesn't place any conditions on use, only
> distribution which means that any sounds produced using the patch are
> not covered by the GPL. (The same as when GCC outputs a compiled
> program. GCC is GPL'ed, but it's output is not.)
>
> I'm not sure how Creative Commons BY-SA could be used, or how you could
> see the patch is a kind of performance, unless you were claiming some
> sort of copyright on the sound the patch produces. I don't think that is
> what you want to do though.
>
> cheers,

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

It looks like the general consensus is to regard these as code. This is
also the opinion of Miguel who made the original query. I particularly
like the suggestion that Zyn. is the 'interpreter' of the program, and
to whoever it was that asked, yes banks files are XML. Also, in the
same way that a hardware synth makes no claims on the music produced
with it, I don't think there could be any contention here.

Unless I hear an irrefutable objection, I'll put my work under GPL V 2
or later and put the appropriate message in the zip file.

With that said, some of my patches are based on work by others
including Paul. I will check with these people and remove any from my
collection that are objected to.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk