[linux-audio-user] Advice about dithering

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Feb 4 10:15:53 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 02:42 +0100, Yves Potin wrote:
>         Hi.
>         Could the wise members of this list give me an advice ? :)
>         Is it a good practice, or even useful, to activate dithering in
> jackd when exporting a session to a wave file in Ardour ?

jackd itself doesn't dither, only a backend (such as the ALSA backend).
therefore, when Ardour is exporting to an audio file, what jackd's
backend does is completely irrelevant - the data never touches the
backend.

>         And which kind of dithering is the most efficent, or the most
> commonly used, between the three types available ?  I imagine that the
> same type must be chosen in Jackd and in Ardour, if the two ones must be
> activated...

as stated above, they are unrelated.

as for the best, please don't start a discussion. i'm still recovering
from the latest round of "the dithering wars" on a pro audio mailing
list. pick one, see if you like it, use it.

--p