[linux-audio-user] gstreamer, rhythmbox, and mp3

carmen _ at whats-your.name
Mon Feb 5 22:34:38 EST 2007

> >it solves a number of problems that nobody
> >else has bothered to solve.
>
> Like what? I play media stuff of all kinds without GStreamer even installed.

what happens when your card doesn't have dmix, and gstreamer is already playing a stream at 48khz to hw:0,1, and another app wants to play a 44.1 khz beep to the same output. does it via some mutex/IPC magic switch over to software mixing the two streams, without requiring a resident sound daemon? if so, i'd consider that a solved problem that nobody else wanted to tackle..