[linux-audio-user] gstreamer, rhythmbox, and mp3

Andrew Lewis alewis at systemsfusion.com
Tue Feb 6 03:26:12 EST 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 10:14, david wrote:
> > what happens when your card doesn't have dmix

AFAIK dmix is the software-mixing mechanism used by ALSA when your card
doesn't have hardware mixing (as such isn't hardware dependant :)) - setup by
default in modern Linuxes...

> the existence of *legal* MP3 codecs for gst from fluendo (with other codecs
> to come) should not be overlooked.

This interested me... How is it that they have a 'legal' MP3 codec for Linux?-
They paid some royalty?- I doubt it'd be as straight-forward as that.... ??
Is it a commercial codec?? :o Curious.....

-AL.