[linux-audio-user] supported midi drum pads

Tim Howard tdhoward at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 20:13:53 EST 2007

On 2/8/07, linuxmedia4 at netscape.net <linuxmedia4 at netscape.net> wrote:
> > I have a Yamaha DD55, which has kick and hh pedals,
>
> Are the pedals, drums and all components velocity sensitive?

Yes, they are.

> > The included samples aren't too bad.  The only two gripes I have with
> > it is that:
> > 1. velocity is a little touchy, and definitely isn't linear.
>
> What do you mean by "isn't linear"? It sounds like you mean "harder"
> doesn't mean "louder", or did I miss the point?

No, harder definitely does mean louder.  What I meant was that if you
tap lightly on the snare, for example, and get progressively louder,
it seems that at a certain point it gets very loud very quickly.  But
this would be less noticable on some sample libraries, I'm sure.

There is likely a way to compensate for this, with some kind of nifty
MIDI velocity curve program.

> > 2. there is a bit of "bleed through" (e.g. if you hit the snare hard,
> > you may heard a little cymbals)
>
> Would this effect recording in a sequencer like Muse while triggering a
> sampler like Specimen? Would you get a clean recording and clean
> triggering of sounds in that set-up?

If you were pounding away, some of the other pads may trigger
(although very quietly), so there would be MIDI data sent as the
result of this.

-TimH