[linux-audio-user] Problem starting bristol with jack

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sat Feb 10 14:46:47 EST 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007, linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu
wrote:
> Have you tried with just the following?
>
> startBristol -jack -b3
>
> It looks like the engine has failed to start due to the midi selection (the
> default midi options are the ALSA seq so I would advise not changing that).
> This causes the GUI to fail as well since the engine is not available. What
> version of bristol is this? I am surprised by the error message regarding
> 'suid root' as I thought this was dropped in the -69 release on sourceforge
> - it should now rely on PAM RT permissions or be started as root, so the
> message is superfluous and you only need suid permissions if you want to
> use bristol dedicated to the audio device with RT scheduling.

Just tried this. Here is the result:
>startBristol -jack -b3
        You may want to make bristolengine a suid-root executable
spawning midi thread
Could not reschedule thread to 2
parent going into idle loop
        flags are 8a000000
midi sequencer
Returning socket 5
Opened listening control socket: 5028
Client ID = 129
Queue ID = 0
Device name did not parse, defaults 128.0
Cannot subscribe port 0 from client 128: Operation not permitted
Error opening midi device /dev/midi, exiting midi thread
connected to :0.0 (80f90a0)
display is 1280 by 1024 pixels
Window is w 1280, h 1024, d 16, 0 0 0
Using DirectColor display
masks are f800 f800 f800
Initialise the hammondB3 link to bristol: 8101220
starting upper manual connection
hostname is localhost, bristol
port is 5028
Connected to the bristol control socket: 5
bristolengine already active
80d4ea0 80000000 0
parent exiting
return - no data in buffer
cleanupBristol(0

Doing it sudo skips the suid message but the rest is the same!