[linux-audio-user] tapeutape features and a question

Florent Berthaut hitmuri at no-log.org
Sun Feb 11 03:27:56 EST 2007

Hi Julien

Julien Claassen a écrit :
> Hi!
>   First my question: Did anyone have problems with libxml or libxml-includes
> while compiling tapeutape? If not, then I got something messed up on my
> system.

What is the output of the scons command ? And actually the lib is
libxml2 so maybe this is why you have this problem.

>   Flo: About the exclusive-group feature. It's already implemented (at least
> partly) the only thing you might do is make it nicer to use in you xml-format.
> Because an exclusive group is just a group of note, which are monophonic.

Already implemented ? ;-)
Do you mean with the cut-by system if you have for example the closed
hi-hat on a range of velocities and the open hi-hat on another range of
velocities ? Otherwise i don't see how you can get it now, for example
between instruments of the same kit .
What i was thinking of is to have the instruments of a kit cutting each
other.

>   Two other things I think are quite important, to me at least. One is, could
> you add a parameter to the notes/samples, that they can play until the
> sample-file has reached it's end? So to say an automatic sustain.

Do you mean that you trigger the sample with a midi note-on but that the
sample doesn't take the midi note-off and just keep on playing until the
end ?
If so, i'm planning to implement it and also a repeat mode , so you can
choose the mode for each instrument.

>   Another thing could you add something like an ADSR for volume at least.

At first i thought that i wouldn't add this feature because one can do
that with a sound editor. I'll have a look at this one if i have some
time ;-)

>   A third minor thing at the moment: It would be nice to have a simplistic
> kind of interactive user-interface (probably with readline or so). For I could
> just quite tapeutape with ^c. I'm using the non-gui version.

Yeah it shouldn't be too complicated , i can put commands like "quit",
"reset/reload file" , "open <filename>" . What do you think ?

>   Kindest regards and thanks for the sampler, I rather like it!
>              Julien

Glad to know that you find it useful !! Thanks for the feedback ;-)

Flo