[linux-audio-user] OT: FUD or not? what is your opinion?

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon Feb 19 12:05:36 EST 2007

> It doesn't mean anything. People are always complaining on the internet,
> that's what it's for.

While I hope you are right. FWIW, I did bother to check out gnome-devel
lists and kde-devel lists and both of them are rather stagnant. Plasma
project truly has no code to show for despite the fact that it has been in
existence for quite some time. The roadmap for Gnome is pretty rudimentary
and mention of 3.00 is just that, a mention.

<rant>
While my heart is and will always be with GNU/Linux, increasingly my
thoughts are that the fragmentation inherent to GNU movement and
subsequently Linux has hit a wall which can be only circumvented through
consolidation and minimizing redundancy. In the current sea of offering,
many great (more importantly often superior) solutions never get a chance to
reach even half of the intended audiences (look at the recent Slashdot
coverage on the future of Linux installers which tells a sad story how
autopackage, despite its arguably superior model never took off). In other
words, IMHO the current diversity has raised noise level so high that signal
is getting lost and countless programmer hours are being wasted on
duplicating efforts of others. It seems to me that perhaps Ubuntu is so
successful because there is a much stronger sense of direction through a
more centralized, or should I say more consolidated control (although that
is obviously much easier to accomplish when money is involved).
</rant>

Ok, back to work...

Ico