[linux-audio-user] midi won't play although sound works

Carlyle Sutphen carlyle at sutphen.de
Mon Feb 19 17:56:24 EST 2007

Hi Julien,

On Monday 19 February 2007 23:33, Julien Claassen wrote:
>   Did you connect an external midi-device to your computer? Because
> midi-port 16 and 20 seem to refer to your read hardware midi-jacks.
They are in both input and output. Why do you say they are on the "read"
jacks?
>   Either take port 17 for playback, if tour audigy is thus supported, it
> should play from its internal mini-synth or soundfonts, I don't know. Or
Tried 17 before. Also no go. I would like to avoid the card's synth because I
read that the software synth's are worlds better.
> try TiMidity (there's a website at sourceforge.net. TiMidity is a software
> Synthesizer. It loads midi-files and plays them using sounds from you
> computer.
Timidity plays midi for me! So I suppose what I am missing is a synthesizer. I
guess it's back to the how-tos! Or can somebody recommend something that
will "just work" when I start it in the background?
>   Third thing you might try: Start up fluidsynth with some Gm-soundfont and
> then do an aconnect -ol to find fluidsynth's port and then give pmidi or
> aplaymidi this port.
I guess I'll try this.But fluidsynth is not installed. Maybe something else I
could use is?

Carlyle