[linux-audio-user] Problem with virmidi module

terrence at terrencevak.net terrence at terrencevak.net
Thu Feb 22 00:09:04 EST 2007

Hello, all,
	I'm trying to get virtual midi going so I can use midi sequencers
with fluidsynth.  I'm following the Linux MIDI Howto, and it has
directions to test-load the snd-virmidi module, but when I do that I get
the following results:
root at Knoppix:/home/knoppix# modprobe snd-virmidi snd_index=1
FATAL: Error inserting snd_virmidi
(/lib/modules/2.6.12/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-virmidi.ko): Unknown symbol
in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
	Checking dmesg reveals the following:
snd_virmidi: Unknown parameter `snd_index'
Card-VirMIDI #1 not found or device busy
Card-VirMIDI soundcard not found or device busy
snd_virmidi: Unknown parameter `snd_index'
	So I tried it without the snd_index part:
FATAL: Error inserting snd_virmidi
(/lib/modules/2.6.12/kernel/sound/drivers/snd-virmidi.ko): No such device

	What am I missing?  I'm using a laptop whose brand name I have no
idea	 of, though lshw lists the cpu as a VIA with 1200 MHZ speed; in
fact, all the hardware shows up as VIA.  Any pointers would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Terrence