[linux-audio-user] Problem with virmidi module

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Thu Feb 22 07:52:09 EST 2007

terrence at terrencevak.net wrote:

>	How could I do this in console mode though?  I don't use graphics
>on this computer.  I'm using a screen reader, and console mode works best.

First, familiarize yourself with the aconnect utility. This program will
let you make your MIDI connections without a GUI.

Next, you can use virmidi to connect to fluidsynth, or any other ALSA
MIDI client. I use it for connections in DOSemu and in XSteem, it's very
handy. The MIDI Through module is not available to those applications
(it has no device node in /dev/snd/), so virmidi is the only flexible
option.

Finally, fluidsynth can be run entirely from the prompt. Julian Claassen
is the master of command-line Linux audio & MIDI, perhaps he'll join in
this discussion and give some suggestions.

Btw, 'man fluidsynth' and 'fluidsynth -h' are your friends. You should
also look at the manual pages for the ALSA utilities (aconnect,
alsamixer, etc.), they're quite helpful.

Best,

dp