[linux-audio-user] Survey about exporting audio sessions

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Feb 26 17:45:34 EST 2007

Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm working on concepts for a new export dialog in Ardour.

cool!

> I would like to hear of your needs regarding final mixdown
> /export using any software, not just Ardour.

I know I'm the trouble maker, but if you ask..

> - Do you export once in the end, or do you do tests in
> between?

export once when finished; then usually bounce the same with different
export-options..

Sometimes there's a preliminary mixdown or rare "exchange-exports"
(bounce all tracks and re-import as new project)

> - Do you work with stereo and/or multi-channel?
stereo and 5.1 (in my case: 6 mono output tracks)

> - What are your targets: CD, DVD, Web?
> - File-types: WAV, Flac, Ogg, MP3?

AIFF - the next man is a mac ;-)

> - Bits and sampling rates you need?

48000kHz - 16 and 24 bits.

> - Do you or would you like to export to several formats at
> once?

yes.

> If yes, which exactly?

i usually export 16 bit and a 24 bit AIFFS @48kHz

sometimes various wav file formats for easy-exchange, hard to be
specific here.

dep. on project: lame helps me with 192kbit/s high-quality mp3 and
oggenc does the rest.

For rare CD productions: obviously 16bit, 44.1kHz wav :o

> - Do you know of outstanding solutions in any application?
> - What problems do you run into?
> - Wishlist items?

It would be nice to have an export mode to glue mastered [ardour]
sessions together for making seamless continuously playing CDs of
separate song-sessions! (select overlay/x-fade tracks? , graphical cue
edit ?, no more hand-tweaking .toc files!) - there's surely some
software to aid that purpose already that you can build on.

Also it would be great if the A/V offset could be (optionally) written
in the file's header when exporting eg. WAV files. - I've made a similar
feat. request on ardour-dev and there's something already in the queue
for importing file's offsets - but that's not due before the
post-MIDI-merge.

> - If you use Jamin, do you feed it with multitrack material
> or rather with mixdowns?

i rarely use jamin and if i do then as last stage post ardour's master
out (after the mixdown). - I sometimes use jack-rack for multitrack
material in a bus, works just fine.