[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

Tim Orford orford at zonnet.nl
Tue Feb 27 14:16:47 EST 2007

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:33:04PM +0000, Chris Cannam wrote:
> That could be why we're so
> short of developers.

So where to go from here? Are there enough developers interested
in the big picture to end this perennial problem and discuss a
solution for the thousands of Cubase users that dislike MSWindows
(for example)?

Applications like Rosegarden and Ardour and have made huge
progress, but the sad fact is that it is not enough. Can us
audio guys succeed where video, 2d, and 3d graphics have failed?

I'm crazy enough to think that we can.

How can projects attract developers? The main issues that a broad
based project needs to address are:

	-flexible architecture with broad, thought-out long term goals.

	-language flexibility.

	-gui toolkit flexibility.

	-high level code documentation.

	-personality issues. People need to feel welcome.

These goals are not neccesarily difficult to achieve, and there
is surely great rewards for any project that can pull it off.

I'm willing to contribute my ideas and code to such a framework. In
the meantime, i'll carry on with my own project that is completely
useless to anyone but myself :-)

--
Tim Orford