[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST

Lars Luthman lars.luthman at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 19:17:58 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-28 at 00:41 +0100, Malte Steiner wrote:
> so we wont see 5 chant machines/plugins in Aldrin, singing
> professionally, controlled by the tracker? :)
>
> My hopes were so high...
>
> But seriously, jumping in for AMS would be considerable. I like its
> sound and all, can even deal with the brownish color (Moog again?) but
> yet there is some reason why I not use it that much.
>
> About modularity, rejecting the plugin idea does not mean rejecting
> modularity. I meant the complete opposite, Alsamidi and Jack makes it so
>   easy to plug different applications, that plugins are not so necessary
> anymore. With Lash we can hopefully soon complete recall a setup.

JACK isn't really suited for doing modular type things - there is a
fixed number of ports you can use (which is rather low by default) and
doing a context switch for every ugen will get rather expensive. Same
goes for the ALSA sequencer or any IPC-based routing system. JACK is
great for connecting a couple of clients, but building a large modular
synth patch from JACK clients isn't the best way.

--ll