[linux-audio-user] ANN: JOST, a simple host for native VST - juce and gui theming

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Feb 28 02:10:29 EST 2007

Josh Lawrence wrote:
> On 2/28/07, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
>> I installed v1.1.0 from Debian repository and tried to run it. I get the
>> following:
>>
>> david at eurolap:~$ amsynth
>> amSynth 1.1.0
>> Copyright 2001-2004 Nick Dowell and others.
>> amSynth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>> ALSA: cannot open audio device hw:0
>> amSynth.bin: pcm.c:695: snd_pcm_close: Assertion `pcm' failed.
>> /usr/bin/amsynth: line 61:  3861 Aborted
>> $BINDIR/amSynth.bin $*
>
> It appears that you have installed amSynth, which is located here:
>
> http://amsynthe.sourceforge.net/amSynth/

I just grabbed it from my Debian repository, so it's probably not a
current version.

> I think the OP was referring to ams.  Try apt-get install ams and you
> should get the package that was being referenced.
>
> And yes, I will personally worship whoever takes on ams and brings it
> up to modern glory.  :)

OK, installing ams to see what it's like. Although I would still like
amSynth to work, too. It sounds like fun ... well, bummer, that one
tells me:

david at eurolap:~$ ams
LADSPA_PATH: /usr/lib/ladspa
loadPath: , savePath:
Preset path now /usr/share/doc/ams/demos
Alsa_driver: Cannot open PCM device plughw:0,0 for playback.
Alsa_driver: Cannot open PCM device plughw:0,0 for capture.
Can't connect to ALSA

There I go, silly me, just expecting things to work! ;-)

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com
authenticity, honesty, community