[linux-audio-user] lv2dynparam

Nedko Arnaudov nedko at arnaudov.name
Wed Feb 28 09:34:58 EST 2007

Atte André Jensen <atte.jensen at gmail.com> writes:
> Ok (+ raptor + rasqal). Now please don't tell me I have to install
> jack from source (this would potentiolly break my whole system), my
> version is the one in debian/unstable:
>
> ajstrup:~# apt-cache show libjack0.100.0-dev | grep Version
> Version: 0.101.1-2
>

> atte at ajstrup:~/software/zynjacku/zynjacku$ make
> gcc -c  -g -I/usr/include/python2.4 -Wall -Werror -D_GNU_SOURCE -fPIC
> -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include/lv2dynparam-1
> -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include
> -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/pango-1.0
> -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
> -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng12
> -I/usr/include/pygtk-2.0 engine.c -o engine.o
> engine.c:28:27: error: jack/midiport.h: No such file or directory

zynjacku is JACK application and thus uses JACK MIDI. Unfortunately JACK
MIDI appeared in version 0.102.20.

No idea what is right way to handle this on debian system. I'd first try
to make new JACK package that satisfies app dependencies (is it
possible?). If this fails, I'd try to "force remove" system package
without autoremoving dependant apps, eighter by some smart package
manager option or by installing from source over packaged version. I
remember there were recent discussion about jack/debian problems in
jack mailing list (or maybe lad or lau?) that may give you more
hints. My impresion is that debian/jack ppl don't work well togheter
("why: is another question). Unfortunately debian linux audio users are
sufferening from it. IMO, given the debian popularity this is major
issue and both parties should express their vision to problem. Obviously
"don't use debian/jack" statements are not helpful to users. 0.102.20 is
5 months old and it is shame that debian unstable has not packaged
it. On other hand JACK ppl should give users sane and working solution
to debian problem. I know strictly speaking this is packager's job but
that job is obviously not that popular that I'd want it to be. So
upstream ppl should be more tolerant to user problems.

If you choose to use 0.102.20 (latest released) instead of SVN version,
you will need to uncomment line 44 in engine.c because there is minor
unreleased JACK MIDI API change that is not released yet.

Having audio and MIDI perfectly synchronized is a must in my
vision. There is no point of using JACK if you use ALSA too. If for some
reason ALSA MIDI must be used, then ALSA audio API should be used
too. Current domiating "ALSA MIDI/JACK audio" approach is just not
coherent, does not give good results (sync) and forces implementing
shits in code instead of doing something more creative.

> Also I got this from slv2:
>
> atte at ajstrup:~/software/zynjacku/slv2$ ./configure
> <snip>
> checking for JACK... no
> <snip>
> SLV2 build configuration:
> Building JACK clients:     no

No idea what exactly slv2 configure script checks. Maybe it checks for
"suitable" version. That apart I see no need to check for JACK at
all. After all it should be usable for JACK-less hosts too. Dave?

--
Nedko Arnaudov <GnuPG KeyID: DE1716B0>