[linux-audio-user] Alsa Configuration, changing defaults on an Audiophile 2496

Bill Adair adair at gotadsl.co.uk
Wed Feb 28 15:55:23 EST 2007

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:09:22 -0000, Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com>
wrote:

> On 2/28/07, Bill Adair <adair at gotadsl.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hello All
>>
>> I have an M-audio Audiophile 2496 and can happily route
>> my playback either to it's internal mixer (PCM Out) or
>> to SPDIF (SPDIF Out) using a command like aplay -Dplug:spdif myfile.wav.
>>
>> What I can't do is set up the default output to be SPDIF so that players
>> like
>> flac123 play automatically to SPDIF. I've been routing throught the docs
>> now
>> and found the command I need for my .asoundrc
>>
>> pcm.!default {
>>       type plug
>>       slave.pcm "spdif"
>> }
>>

> It won't work if flac123 uses the OSS (/dev/dsp) API or opens a device
> other than "default".  Make sure the app is correct.
>
> Lee

I have discovered that flac123 uses libao driver names for it's
-d option (see below). Though it's not listed selecting the alsa09
driver will cause flac123 to use the alsa settings in .asoundrc and
play to the SPDIF outputs. the program gmusicbrowser can be altered
to add alsa09 as a device option when using flac123.

Usage: flac123 [OPTIONS] FILES...
   -d, --driver=STRING     set libao output driver (oss, esd, arts, macosx,
                           etc).  Default is oss