[linux-audio-user] audio/video player for theatre use anyone?

Joern Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri Mar 2 12:37:31 EST 2007

Lee Revell wrote:
> On 3/1/07, Joern Nettingsmeier <nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:
>> * does not ever crash ;)
>
> I've never seen a media player for any OS that never crashes (other
> than the one built into a Tivo).  mplayer is the closest I have seen.
> I guess if you only need to support a single format like MPEG4 it
> could be made reliable.  But all bets are off if you need to support
> proprietary codecs.

as i said, it's absolutely not a problem if it supported only one or two
open, well-documented and generally sane video codecs. the most
important thing (i think) is the pre-buffering feature - tacking a nice
"instant play" user interface on a playlist-driven player wouldn't be
hard, but i don't know of any existing players that do buffering...