[linux-audio-user] intel core 2 duo and amd turion 64x2

M P Smoak smoak at mis.net
Sun Mar 11 00:41:49 EST 2007

On Saturday 10 March 2007 11:50 pm, david wrote:
> Frank wrote:
> > david wrote:

> >> HP is NOT selling the same quality as Apple. You get what you pay
> >> for.
> >
> > If you're in the habit of occasionally challenging your
> > preconceptions do this little experiment:  Visit Dell, just for
> > convenience - or pick another if you wish, and configure a laptop
> > with the same features and specs as a MacBook Pro - ignore the
> > elegance of the OS and its heart of BSD...even ignore the
> > simplicity and speed with which it runs multiple GNU/Linux distros
> > in nothing more difficult or risky than a simple file constituting
> > a Parallels Desktop VM, and get back to us with either a
> > verification of your comparison factor or a new-found appreciation
> > for the value of opinions based upon verifiable facts.
>
> My opinion of HP/Compaq is based on my verifiable experience with
> them. Not a preconception.
>
> My experience with Dell - having spent 11 years on a corporate Help
> Desk during the time the corporation switched from IBM Thinkpads to
> Dell laptops - is also based on facts. The number of hardware
> problems reported to the help desk for Dell laptops was five times
> higher than we had reported for the IBM laptops. Even OLD Thinkpads
> had fewer problem reports than NEW Dell laptops.
>
> That may have changed since IBM is no longer the quality determiner
> for their old brand.

I drive used cars. And I'm starting to think that may be a good strategy
to use with computers.  HP, I'd have a bias because of all the HP stuff
I used in the 70's.  IBM; I spent many years there.  Recently bought a
used thinkpad. Installing linux for travel with audio.  So far so good
on getting it going but I'm moving slow due to ... other energy drags
and no chance to travel.

My wifes experience with a dell laptop, and my reseach of their known
problems with sound, makes me think I'd never buy one.

I started doing techi stuff back in the 60's; seen a lot of change in
computing and music/audio.  The pace of change in hardware and computing
methods is both fascinating and scary today.  We're sailing in a tide
with lots of coral and swirls.

For now I'll take an "old, outdated system" that works for me rather
than the latest, greatest.

But I'm just a sax player, ex-tech geek, who just wants music to work
via my computer.

Marv
PS:  My new mouse just ate my alsa sound on Songbird.