[LAU] building a debian system for audio

James Stone jamesmstone at gmail.com
Wed May 23 14:16:59 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 10:19:14AM -0500, Josh Lawrence wrote:

> So where did I go wrong?  I've been reading Ken Restivo's blog lately
> (great blog, b/t/w), and he has actually built debian packages from
> source of what he needs - is that the solution I'm looking for?  Is my
> approach good or flawed, and what should I do differently?

Basically if something depends on the old version of jack, then
yes the best method would be to make a new package that depends
on the up to date version, or alternatively wait for the
packagers to sort it out.

One last option is just to install the program as a non-debian
package. I do this quite a lot because it is much quicker than
debianizing everything, but it is not the recommended approach,
and it leads to breakages if you install a debian version of a
package you installed from source.

Best,

James