[LAU] Question about fitting all this MIDI music stuff together

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 06:39:38 EDT 2007

Sounds about right to me.
I think of Jack and the ALSA MIDI sequencer module as the spine of the
system, to the extent that I get annoyed at audio programs that can't talk
to Jack.  If you want to route audio flexibly between programs, you can use
Jack, and if you want to route MIDI you can use the ALSA sequencer.  Check
out aconnect and aconnectgui to get an overview of the ALSA seq; you can
also manage it using qjackctl, the Jack control panel, if you haven't
already discovered that.
I like to use shell scripts to set up Jack and various programs, but it's
nice to have the qjackctl GUI to get an idea of how it works.
One other possibility, silly as it may sound, would be to have Rosegarden
talk to the ALSA sequencer, and that talk to fluidsynth.  I could be wrong,
but I think the reason to do this would be that, if you ever want to route
the same MIDI composition through Pd or Csound or whatnot, instead of
fluidsynth, you could leave the Rosegarden setup as is and reroute the ALSA
sequencer instead.  That way you don't change your Rosegarden file.  And
whoever talks to fluidsynth, it is also an option to have fluidsynth talk to
Jack and Jack talk back into Rosegarden audio, which talks back to Jack
which talks to ALSA- so you can do mixing and effects in the same program
where you do the sequencing.

If you want to use MIDI with Csound, I believe you also need the "virmidi"
module, for virtual MIDI.  The current Csound manual describes how and why,
if you know to look for it.  Once virmidi is set up, it starts automatically
and can be thought of as an almost invisible extension of the ALSA MIDI
sequencer module.
I don't think of this all as hodge-podge; just that it's all held together
by dedicated audio and MIDI routing programs which have no other purpose.

-Chuckk

http://www.badmuthahubbard.com