[LAU] Fedora Core 9, Planet CCRMA, and PulseAudio

The Other theother1510 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 14 14:38:23 EST 2008

Joe Hartley wrote:
> I did the Fedora 9 installation this afternoon, I've now got the Planet
> working great.  I disabled PulseAudio by removing the alsa-plugins-pulseaudio
> RPM, and used the rpmfusion.org (formerly livna) repositories for the
> useful stuff like video player and MP3 support.
>
> Got the NVidia drivers built against the 2.6.24.7-1 RT kernel painlessly
> too, and my Ardour 2.7.1 build is chugging along fine.

Congratulations, Joe.

To All,

I starting having some kernel faults with
2.6.24.7-1.rt3.2.fc9.ccrmart, so I rebooted back to
2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686.  Running without realtime was working for me, so
why not?

But as soon as I rebooted back into 2.6.27.7-53.fc9.i686, all sound
output was defaulted back to the motherboard speaker again.  This was
without having alsa-plugins-pulseaudio RPM installed.

Okay.  I've noticed that sometimes when things like this happen it
helps to reinstall the RPM and then uninstall the RPM.  I tried that
but it didn't help.

Then I looked into the /etc/pulse/default.pa file, and went into the
### Load Audio Drivers section and put in this:

load-module module-alsa-sink
load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0

and commented out everything in the ### Automatically Load Drivers
section so hal-detect wouldn't be used.

That helped some.  But now I think I understand what is causing my
trouble.  The motherboard sound chip is getting recognized as hw:0
(default), and the Audigy2 ZS is getting recognized as hw:1.

I think RealPlayer 11 is using hw:0 as the output, hence it's getting
kicked out on the motherboard speaker.  In prior versions of ALSA, I
remember a program called alsaconfig (or something close to that) that
let you specify the order of your sound chips/cards.  I would always
set the Audigy2 to become hw:0.

I need something like this for PulseAudio.  Then some of these older
sound programs which always use hw:0 would be using the Audigy2
instead of the motherboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks All,
Stephen.