[LAU] OpenMoko FreeRunner and Real Time Kernel

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Tue Jul 15 07:42:10 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 04:06:28PM -0700, Brad Fuller wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 2:28 AM, Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> wrote:
> > I just received my OpenMoko FreeRunner phone and have been poking around in it, trying to learn my way around it.
>
> Tell us how you like the phone as a phone. What service are you running?

Off topic now, but sure.

As a phone, it's just barely useful. I'm using the cheap 7-11 pay-as-you-go AT&T plan, and I popped in my SIM and it just worked. So the hardware is all there, but the software is extremely skeletal.

However, as a development platform, it is cool and addicting and totally fun. It's very slick. The development environment and tools are excellent, and it's exciting to see development moving so very fast now. Porting is relatively straightforward, and there are all kinds of Python bindings and d-bus hooks, making it easy to write new apps.

If you want a phone, get an HTC or Ming. If you want a rewarding project, then defintely get an OpenMoko.

-ken