[LAU] OT: Double bass (Kontrabass) Recommended listening.

Aurelien orl at ammd.net
Fri Jun 6 02:23:18 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 10:15:43PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote :

> On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 12:01 +1000, Loki Davison wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I recently bought a double bass and am loving it. Fun to play and
> > amazing sound with fingers and bow.  I will be looking for a teacher
> > soon but first and foremost i'm looking for some good stuff to listen
> > too! I'm really enjoying Willie Dixons stuff and a few tracks by
> > Freundeskries (german hiphop) and Donovan. What else is good? I'd love
> > to here tracks in a range of style both bow and fingers.
>
> Eberhard Weber.
>
> he actually plays a modified electric (but upright) bass, but still
> worth listening to. for an introduction to the possibilities, check out
> "Pendulum" or "The Colors of Morning". Pendulum is all solo, but
> multi-tracked.
>
> also Miroslav Vitous on ECM. on other labels he often played electric
> bass guitar, but on ECM there's some gorgeous work on acoustic.
>
> the bass player from Oregon can also be pretty inspirational, though he
> sometimes fades away into the background.

Oregon is sometimes pretty cool. But the sound's not always on top.

You've got to hear to Renaud Garcia-Fons. This man is totally awesome,
one of the best double-bass player, if you ask me.
I don't want to describe his music, as it could seem a bit boring or
pretentious, but, actually, it's very BEAUTIFUL (there's no other word)
and virtuous!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXt6htVi3C4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRq9VWuhiqk
(I haven't seen those videos, as I'm under Linux 64bits, and flash
doesn't exist for me, and I don't want to make some wrapper things)

In a very other way, Trevor Dunn (my teacher)'s Trio Convulsant, which
lies somewhere between bop and punk (not in the way of punk jazz,
though!) is seomthing I like very much!

> and of course Ron Carter, who despite his ability to play electric bass
> guitar with the best of the (well, almost), always insisted that
> acoustic double bass had a quality that could never be replicated.

Sure, Ron Carter is great. Seems to be a bit worse than he was, though.

--
ORL /// AMMD Booking (www.ammd.net)