[LAU] Best recording software for long session

Arnold Krille arnold at arnoldarts.de
Mon May 19 03:07:06 EDT 2008

Am Montag, 19. Mai 2008 schrieb Al Thompson:
> I have need to record a lengthy (2+ hours) live show non-stop, stereo, and
> was wondering what Linux program is best at this.  I've tried reading the
> docs and FAQs I could find, and those docs that I could find say nothing of
> any recording time limits, or file size limits.  It's got to save in
> 44.1/16bit .WAV format, and run on non-jack Fedora.

Actually you wont find _any_ program that does a wav-file recording with more
then ~2hours length. Not because the apps are all crap, but because the
wav-format is crap. Its length-header is only big enough for just under 2
hours length. So there is no way to record a longer file in wav. (Learned by
experience.)

What I can _really_ suggest to be a good solution: timemachine (which is an
jack-app) recording to the w64-format. The gui is the best recording-gui I
have every seen. And if you decide to not do the whole show as one recording
but in multiple snippets, timemachine even records backward in time, allowing
you to start recording well until after the song started (you can set the
time to record backward from the commandline). I did use it rather often when
being the foh-tech and doing an recording at the same time...

And setting up jack to do recording is pretty easy as you don't need
low-latency for that.

Have fun,

Arnold
--